- 2 eggs
- 6 cups of flour
- 6 teaspoons baking powder
- 250 grams butter/margarine
- 2 cups of buttermilk
- quarter teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- Preheat your oven to about 160 degrees celsius.
- Sift and mix the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Use your hands to rub the butter/margarine until the mixture looks like bread crumbs.
- In a seperate bowl beat the two eggs. Now add the eggs and buttermilk to your flower mixture
- Start kneading while adding more flour as you knead. Work the dough until it is not sticky anymore.
- Roll the dough in ball sizes and leave to set for about 15 – 30 minutes
- Now bake in your oven for an hour and test it by inserting a toothpick into the middle of the rusk. If it comes out clean then it’s leka!
- Take out the rusks and leave it to cool, cutting it into blocks or shapes.
- Now turn your oven down to 120 degrees celsius.
- Put your rusks in a baking tray and place them in the oven to dry.
- Place the rusks on the baking tray. If you layer them, make sure the bottom ones can get some heat to dry out effectively.
- When dry take them out and make a nice cup of Tea or Coffee to test.